Aug 252013
 

It’s finally the week to make the project that I was most excited about in Ayumi’s book: the cute cute hexagon trivet. I even made two!
trivets

I’m so not fast that it took me an hour to choose fabric out of my scrap containers. Then I cut approximate chunks out beforehand, which made the piecing simple. It was a very straighforward project, so there’s not too much to say about it.
strawberry trivet

I was chintzy as usual, and I used some not-super-pretty scrap flannel for the backs (instead of super cute fabric, like Ayumi used in the book samples). No one looks at them after I take blog pictures, anyway.
trivet back

I was happy at how relatively neat the bound corners turned out. I used my usual lazy pinch-fold-fold-mark-mark-sew-sew method. Wasn’t that descriptive?
trivet front corner

I’m glad that the Zakka 2.0 Sew Along exists, because it’s nudged me to make time for projects I normally wouldn’t have done. These scrappy things are super cute! They take longer than things I’m naturally inclined to make, but I really like them when they’re finished.
bear trivet

Jun 192011
 

Just in the nick of time, I finished the last of my Fathers’ Day presents. The labels I ordered arrived in the mail, so I stuck one on the wonky potholder and finished up the binding.
potholder
My label!
label

I meant to make one more pot holder for my dad, but I goofed. I thought it would be nice to make an intentional-looking one to go with my lazy wonky one, so I followed Ellison Lane’s starflower block tutorial. I didn’t adjust the sizes, though, so I ended up with two 12.5 inch squares. Doh! I blame late night brain. They would definitely have made nice pillows, but my dad wouldn’t want pillows, so I’m going to say they’re trivets. Heh!
trivets?

I also made a mug rug for my husband; I figure he can put his nalgene on it at work. At first, I thought I’d get the kids’ handprints, but after just getting big smudges with the four-month-old, I realized that it wasn’t going to happen.

Once I had the footprints, I chose these borders because I liked the hedgehogs and I thought the purple print matched the purple in the ties in the dad fabric I also wanted to use, but when I lay the two blocks next to each other, it looked pretty awful.
mug rug beginning

After one more failed border (pac man print!), I ended up with this. Yay for being done!
mug rug ending

I’m linking up to Clover and Violet’s Stash Project of the Month because I made these completely from my stash. I stitched together seven pieces of batting for my dad’s potholder!