May 252012
 


I went through a couple of other projects for my Pinterest Challenge (which I’ll post about more next) before I landed on my final one. Here are my outtakes!

First, I wanted to make this hilarious mug rug that I pinned; isn’t it awesome? (This picture is of Sew Fantastic‘s one.)


I don’t think mine turned out as giggle-inducing, though, which is why I didn’t want to use it for the challenge.


After that, I thought I’d try making a project knitting bag, which is really just a drawstring bag with pockets.


I combined Jeni’s tutorial with Michelle’s small grocery bag since I was feeling lazy about boxing corners.


There are a couple of slip pockets inside to hold dpns and scissors and things.


This project didn’t feel fancy enough, though. Up next is my actual Pinterest Challenge project! :)

Jun 192011
 

Just in the nick of time, I finished the last of my Fathers’ Day presents. The labels I ordered arrived in the mail, so I stuck one on the wonky potholder and finished up the binding.
potholder
My label!
label

I meant to make one more pot holder for my dad, but I goofed. I thought it would be nice to make an intentional-looking one to go with my lazy wonky one, so I followed Ellison Lane’s starflower block tutorial. I didn’t adjust the sizes, though, so I ended up with two 12.5 inch squares. Doh! I blame late night brain. They would definitely have made nice pillows, but my dad wouldn’t want pillows, so I’m going to say they’re trivets. Heh!
trivets?

I also made a mug rug for my husband; I figure he can put his nalgene on it at work. At first, I thought I’d get the kids’ handprints, but after just getting big smudges with the four-month-old, I realized that it wasn’t going to happen.

Once I had the footprints, I chose these borders because I liked the hedgehogs and I thought the purple print matched the purple in the ties in the dad fabric I also wanted to use, but when I lay the two blocks next to each other, it looked pretty awful.
mug rug beginning

After one more failed border (pac man print!), I ended up with this. Yay for being done!
mug rug ending

I’m linking up to Clover and Violet’s Stash Project of the Month because I made these completely from my stash. I stitched together seven pieces of batting for my dad’s potholder!