I finished my dad’s passport document folder! Huzzah! Because of the cross-stitching, I figure it took me about 47 hours. O_o
I used the Wanderlust Pocketbook pattern from Everyday Handmade. It makes a super cute document folder, but the instructions have a couple of errors in them. For one, it tells you to cut the exterior fabric and the exterior’s interfacing an inch too narrow. For two (heh), it only reminds you in the instructions about applying about half of the interfacing pieces — you have to remember yourself to apply the other ones. Fortunately, I always apply my interfacing before sewing anything, but if any novice sewerers just went through and followed the instructions, they’d be sad at the end when they had leftover interfacing pieces.
Anyhoo, the waste canvas that I used to get the cross-stitching done was so neat! I just had to spray it with water, and the canvas threads came out pretty easily. You may notice in the picture below that the Tardis is on a different side than in the finished passport document folder. I ended up having to cut it apart in order to get the Tardis in a better place, so that’s why I wasn’t too upset when I found out that I also had to add width to the exterior because of the error in the book.
The inside of the passport folder has a whole lot of cute pockets for all kinds of stuff. My dad figured out that his Nexus 7 fit into the ticket pocket!
I’m so glad this is done! I paid cash (er, PayPal) munee for that Dr. Who pattern, so I’m happy that it didn’t languish with the other patterns I’ve paid for and have yet to use. 😀 Thanks, Shanna and Melissa, for spurring me to finish this!