I finished my mom bag version of the Margaret sling! This time, I cut the squares 20″ x 19″ to minimize waste from the interfacing I had. Since I was making this bag for my aunty’s friend, I included the things that I left out of the bag I made for myself: the interior pockets and the loop to close the bag around the button. I also made a fabric-covered button for the first time! That was fun — I made sure that there was a bee in the center.
I added a loop on the inside so that the mom-to-be could hang keys or a diaper trash bag dispenser thingy from it, and I made a quick little zip pouch to hang from it, too. If I ever make this bag again, I’ll try following the instructions and using flannel interlining instead of fusible fleece. Also, I only noticed after I finished this bag that the flannel interlining is supposed to be smaller than the exterior pieces to reduce bulk in the seams! Doh — that sure would have made the topstitching easier. I love my Jean A Ma Jig, though. I actually managed to make the topstitching look okay because of it… I think I didn’t have it when I made my own bag, and I had to hand stitch over the pleats.
I’d also move the interior pockets about an inch lower since the bag is so deep. I noticed that they were kind of high right after I sewed them, but I was too lazy to rip them out. :>
I’m happy that I finished my challenge for this week! I wrote about the other half of my challenge here.