Jul 012013

Again with my Juki TL-2000Qi… I wasn’t happy with how my walking foot was working, because it wasn’t! (This is the included walking foot.) It was acting like a normal presser foot and pushing the top layer of fabric way forward in quilt sandwiches. I tried every pressure level for the foot, but there wasn’t a magic setting that made things better. Then I used the hand crank so I could watch what the walking foot was doing, and I discovered that the little top grabbers weren’t popping up and grabbing new fabric with every stitch. Instead, the grabbers would ride along backwards for a stitch or two before popping up again to walk the fabric along. Ah hah!
Juki walking foot grippies

I popped off the plastic cover so it was easier to see what was going on, and then I oiled all the points in the walking foot where I thought there might be friction. I oiled the moving metal hingey joints, including the space next to a black round bit.
Juki walking foot oil points - bottom

I also oiled the outsides of the black grippy bits, even though they seem to be made of plastic. I think this helped the most! They do rub up against the metal parts of the presser foot along the outside, and they popped up easier after oiling.
Juki walking foot oil points - side

After all of this, my walking foot worked much better! The little grippers were grabbing fabric on every stitch. Yay! I only had time to test on a small bit of quilt sandwich, but I’m hopeful that this will finally make my Juki able to do some nice straight line quilting. 🙂

  4 Responses to “Fixt My Walking Foot!”

  1. Well done on a good DIY repair 🙂

  2. That’s brilliant- I would never have thought to do that!

  3. Chug chug chug… I love my walking foot, even if it does occasionally like to build up a bit of a fabric backlog behind itself!

  4. […] Problem: The walking foot straight up didn’t work properly. Solution: Oil the heck out of it! […]

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>