Jul 192011
 

Finished my pinwheels block for the week!
WCDI pinwheels
There’s not much to say about this, except that I like trimming five pinwheel blocks a lot better than trimming twenty HSTs… >_< Oh! After I sewed all my HSTs together, I wished that I'd just cut four pinwheel colors and made the center pinwheel have a fin thingy from each of the corner colors, but I was too lazy to go back and cut extras. Oh well! I made the block and took the picture all at night, so I’m not sure if the off-white fabric is as yellow as it looks in the picture. It probably isn’t. I’m happy that this block finished at around 12.5 inches like it’s supposed to!

Jul 082011
 

First month of We Can Do It is done!

Churn Dash:
WCDI churn and dash
This one actually finished at 12.5 inches. Woot! The light green is not actually as light as it appears; I took the picture at night.

Bonus block:
WCDI month 1 bonus block
I was lazy and did what I found out is a Dutchman’s Puzzle block. I really wanted to play more with Christina Lane’s fast HST method; I started with 5.75″ blocks and found that I get 3.75″ HSTs from them. Then I trimmed them down to 3.5″ (which I think took me longer than if I’d just made normal HSTs that I don’t trim) and then somehow ended up with an unfinished block at 12.75″. Sheesh!

So for the first month of this quiltalong, I’ve got one each of 12″, 12.25″, 12.5″, and 12.75″ blocks. Holey moley.

Jun 292011
 

Ooh, I feel naughty! I finished my nine-patch block for the We Can Do It! skillbuilder, but I was lazy and decided to use up some ugly fabric I have lurking in my stash. At least the seam intersections seem to be okay. I tried using an even more scant quarter-inch seam to see if that would make my seams closer to what they should be, but then I forgot to measure the final block before I put it underneath a pile of other stuff. Whoops!
nine patch ook