This is the BurdaStyle cocoon cardigan #107, and it was the first Burda pattern I’ve sewn. I read that this pattern is seriously gigantic, so I copied Very Purple Person and printed the pattern at 92% (I don’t think I have any evidence for this, but I keep thinking we’re around the same height), cut out the size 36, and didn’t add any seam allowances. I think it fits perfectly! :D:D:D
I made this from a printed (the wrong side is white) French terry from a local shop, which makes this soooooo cozy. Then I exercised severe restraint and only wore it to work twice this week, even though I love it so, so much. Yay for air conditioning, since I lack sense and made myself an enormous sweater in the middle of summer. hehehe.
I tried my best to match up the stripes, and I succeeded about half the time; I could definitely tell which seams I’d pinned later in the day. I left off the interfacing for the all-around hem band since I didn’t think this fabric needed it, and I only serged the seams instead of using bias tape like the instructions wanted. Finally, I added wide sleeve cuffs because I read about someone else getting a trumpety effect when they first tried hemming this cardigan’s sleeves in a knit. The sleeve-to-cuff seam did end up stretching out a little bit, but the cuffs still help my sleeves stay up when I need them to, so I think overall it ended up okay.
On a different note, I’m still trying to figure out the fit on my Eucalypt tanks — I made this octopus version in a medium at the bust and a small at the waist and hips. I like that it no longer has pull lines at the upper bust, but it really is too big at the top. The neckline is too low and the arm holes are definitely too big. Luckily, this cardigan covers up almost all of that, so I can still wear my fun octopuses!