In my New Years resolutive sewing through patterns and fabric I already have, I made a copy-of-the-pattern-cover Victory Patterns Madeleine skirt. I love it! I feel like I’m doing French cosplay when I wear it with the suspenders. 😀
I shortened the skirt a lot (about six inches, I think) so it would end up just above knee-length. Then I only used 1.5 yards of the 2 yards that I bought, yay! This is the size 6 made up in Kaufman 8 oz black washed denim.
I love the way the skirt turned out, but some parts sure made me grumpy — particularly the lapped zipper instructions and the way the skirt back B is cut to “help” with it. I think my zipper turned out okay, but I had a really hard time figuring out what I was supposed to do. Plus, I’m pretty sure that if I’d followed the instructions exactly, I would have ended up with raw center back seam allowances!
One of the diagrams for the waistband overlap didn’t seem to be illustrating what I actually had on my skirt, but at that point I was barely looking at the instructions, anyway. I accidentally switched the direction of the waistband overlap, but I don’t mind because that’s the direction all of my other skirts hook in.
I also made the pockets differently. The instructions don’t say to understitch the pocket edge, and they have you sew the pocket exterior and lining right sides together so that you can turn it right side out and have all the raw edges enclosed. I understitched my pocket edge (no peeking-out linings for me!), and then my exterior and lining pieces didn’t match up nicely anymore. So instead, I basted the exterior and lining along the bottom curved edge, pinked the raw edge, and pressed in along the basting line.
I tried to figure out the best place for my buttonholes, but didn’t quite manage it — when I put on the braces, the middle buttonhole makes them too loose, and the highest buttonhole hikes the skirt up to my ribcage. Without the suspenders, the skirt sits nicely on my natural waist.
I had fun again with topstitching on my quilting Juki. So pretty! I was a bit of a doof though, and used slightly different stitch lengths all over the skirt. 😀
This pattern is SO CUTE and I love it! It would be pretty noticeable if I made more than one (recently, a non-sewing lady at work asked me if I sewed my own clothes because she noticed that I wore Hollyburns, Brumbies, and Eucalypt tanks all week, hah!), but I just found an adorable red chambray version that I feel I must copy…